- March 8, 2022
- Horse Care , Horse Riding
- Comments : 0
Polo Horse Feeding – Part 2
The polo horse feeding is as important as that of an athlete. The care, feeding, hydration and routine of the horse is extremely important for optimal development.
The horse’s diet is a herbivorous diet, which includes for example: forage, oats, barley, hay, fruits, flaxseed, corn, wheat bran, among others, in addition to including minerals and vitamins, according to the horse’s needs.
In search of a better feed for the horse, the use of hydroponic green fodder has been an innovation in the field, because it is done very quickly, at any time of the year, weather conditions and place, lowering production costs and achieving a feed with exceptional nutritional values.
Among the benefits we find in this type of forage are:
- High moisture content in the shoots, which favors digestion and recovery of the animal after work.
- Exceptional growth rates.
- Improved general appearance and coat.
- Increased milk production in lactating mares.
- Decreased edema and dehydration.
The horse can eat between 6 to 8 kg per day of FVH. It is also excellent for its low levels of sugars and carbohydrates, and is ideal for small producers, due to its low production costs.